Monday 17 March 2014

I got hired!

Hey folks!

I bet you missed me. :-)

Sorry for not writting about my job hunting success earlier - I was too busy strategizing my very own information war, more like a battle (p.s. I am gonna tell you all about it later on). So yeah, I got the job and now I am one of those office people wearing fancy suits and having my phone bills covered. Not really...;-) But here is what happened.

More than a month ago I have started this little job hunting experiment, to be precise I started looking for the job in the first week of February. On 19th February I had my first day of work. I now work on TV and do the stuff I love the most - manage PR and media relations.

In order to find the job I have used several techniques with most of them being fairly traditional (I did not make any viral videos, but probably should have). You can take a look at a little visual report below illustrating the progress of the experiment, although, first, I would like to make a little conclusion.

1. Your path to the dream job  almost solely depends on you. 
Knowing me, I can now say with 100% assurance that if I really-really wanted to get the job at Google I could have. I just needed to really work for it and really want it. Of course there always are circumstances you just cannot deal with. Like in my case, I can only work in the countries which do not require the working permit. And believe me this list is like super short. Thus, at this point of my career I decided to establish myself in the filed first before applying to work abroad and having amazing companies to do the paper work for me. So yeah, your success is directly proportional to the efforts behind it.

2. Your CV and your ability to make an impression is 90%, 10% is luck.
Clearly CV and your email, pitch or phone call to come with it is the first thing potential employer gets to know about you. Thus, it should speak for itself. To add something to this topic which I have already covered, you can also consider looking at this latest article on Mashable. The main rule to remember here is tailoring! You may and should have that one perfect universal resume to begin with, but you would very likely have to edit it for each particular job offering.

3. It is personal. 
Out of every channel tried, targeted emails seem to work the best. As you will see on the chart below, I have tried several ways of distributing my CV among the potential employers. If 100 is the maximum efficiency, email gets 100. Every time I have sent personal email with my resume attached to real people (not just HR department or a general email) asking them for a job, I always got the response.
References and letters of recommendations and  are also personal and extremely fruitful, it is like the word of mouth in action, like the true meaning of PR (when the person who says you are cool is actually not you, but somebody even cooler).

4. Social bookmarking works. 
Not just for blogs, but even for the job hunting. As this little technique helps increase traffic site and make your post (CV) more visible. Just imagine if the story of you looking for a job appears on Digg among the most sharable content. I bet somebody would hire you to do their social media.

5. Be creative. 
There is nothing to add here, except that every profession has place for fantasy and talent. If you can show at least 1% of you might add to the job while going through the application submission/CV writing/hiring process, it definitely increases your chances for success. 



No comments:

Post a Comment