Monday 5 August 2013

Remember to send your work to cloud: useful tips on keeping your files safe

Nighty night to everyone!

Today or tonight's post will be about the cloud or in modern meaning the Internet storage softwares.

I came across the cloud storage in the beginning of my internship. I realized that the company saved all of the work online without having hundreds of files on their desktops. Unfortunately, I did not payed enough attention to this and later on this almost cost me a dissertation. Thus, after I spilled water over my laptop and could not access any data on it, I started thinking about alternative ways of keeping my work safe. Of course, you can back up your stuff and use USB storage, but it might be worth thinking of some up-to-date options.

Just to give you one reason the following info is useful, think of the situation when you are in the university, at the important meeting or with the business client and suddenly realize you forgot to bring some important documents. If you use cloud services this will never happen, because you can access your stuff from any other computer.

So, let me share with you what I know:

1. Googe Drive

This file storage and synchronization service was introduced by Google just in 2012. But I certainly think it has already found its fans and the number is 'a hell of a lot' (couldn't wait to use this expression). So if you have Gmail account, you can immediately start benefiting from the virtual storage space this virtual Drive offers you. Not only now I save my documents there, I very often work thefe creating presentations, charts and folders. Therefore, Google Drive is wonderful facilitation to companies' Intranet, because in Google Drive not only the documents can be stored, but the whole company can together work on every file. You can share your work with colleagues, edit their work and assign tasks and there is no need for 'email-attach-download-save as' routine. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!


2. DropBox



Another online storage service very easy to use and very important to have. Similarly to Google Drive, it lets you save your work and share it with colleagues and friends. As far as I know, you can create the documents in DropBox and upload the existing ones from your computer. The great advantage of this service is the possibility of storing large size and amounts of data, such as photos. This is extremely handy when you want you pictures safe in one place and accessible for family members. In regards to the professional sphere, this is a necessity for designers, illustrators and guys who work with .jpg, .png and etc. To sum up, DropBox is something like 'free hard drive'.


Anyway, I would suggest using both services, because they complement each other, really.

Hope this helps.
:-)

         

No comments:

Post a Comment