Monday 9 September 2013

Job hunting, CV writing and professional profile building

Good Monday morning to everyone! :)

Hope, you had a wonderful weekend! It is a beginning of new week, new life and time to look for a new job. For those who are just about to hand in a CV or two to the desired companies (mine is Google), I thought this post may provide some insights.

Earlier today I came accross this article on Mashable (seems like I only post links to this website) talking about Facebook introducing 'Professional Skills' category. It seems like social networking sites are becoming more and more appropriate for building employer-employee relationships. I believe most of you already have LinkedIn profile. I personally find it very useful for me (as a recent graduate), because of the possibility to connect with influencers, look for new opportunities and make quick applications. However, increased number of users demand certain improvements from the SNS. In addition, for your LinkedIn experience to be fruitfull there are 13 mistakes to avoid.

Anyway, LinkedIn is great, but let me share with you some interesting alternatives for creating professional image online. I would want this tips to be helpful for merketers, PR-people and advertising job hunters, but everyone else is also welcome to read and share:)

1. I always wanted to have a business card (not sure if I do enough business for that), smartly designed piece of recycled paper with my name on it, at least. The World Wide Web made my dreams come true - About.me is a wonderful and easy-to-use service ('nameplate') for making online business cards. Many thanks to my friend TJ for telling me about this one. And! you can easily transform the thing into a short CV and send the link with you paper resume.



2. Some jobs not only require to have a curriculum vitae to be considered as a potential candidate, but ask for the portfolio. If you are a designer, person who makes creative commercials or a web developer - check out Zerply and show your work to the rest of the world.



3. Another alternative to the LinkedIn page is a 'branded web presence' making tool called Flavors.me. This service also allows you to connect all the social media profiles at one web-address; create your resume and personal card; promote your 'personal brand' online.



4. For creative industry workers infographics CV does not look like a bad idea at all. If you don`t feel like making it yourself, don`t have inner designer-self or simply want to have it done quick - I have a solution for you. I heard this is a Russian start-up which proved to be successful allover the world. ResumUP - great took for visualising your Facebook or LinkedIn profile. The advantage is that infographics CV looks really clear and informative, so can be send to employers on its on, whilst the 'comics-looking-like' resumes may need a textual compliment. I have used this service myself and really enjoyed the results!


5. If you are an inspiring marketing or PR-professional, SEO guru or content marketing evangelist who does a lot of talks on the subject, takes active part in conferences, TED talks and other speakers featuring events, you should register with ExpertFile. This is probably not for recent graduates, but who knows what you will achieve in the next 5 years, right? ;-)


Good luck getting your dream job!



No comments:

Post a Comment