Tuesday 17 September 2013

Social bookmarking and why you need it

Hi folks! How`re you doing? ;)

I feel so terrible for leaving you here, all alone, in this lonely Internet, without any new posts for a couple of days. That`s not that I have been procrastinating, in fact, I was doing the opposite - working as a tutor on the Freshers Week in the University of Glasgow. This was so much fun! :-) So great to be in the shoes of the 'university person' again. Oh, I just realised how much I miss my recently ended student days!!!

Anyway, you are probably hungry for some food for thought, don`t you? And I am going to give you some regarding the social bookmarking: what it is, why you need to know about it and how to do it. Enjoy!


1. Social bookmarking is...Well, in a non-digital word bookmarking is a process of putting something (card, piece of paper or a fancy silver bookmark) into the book to note your favourite pages or those that are importnat to you. In the digital word, information in the virtual space can be similarly organised through social bookmarking services. These are the online services where content is 'tagged' and shared in a way so the other people can find their way to what actual interests them. Hm...how can I make sound even simplier...well, most of us use Internet as a source of news: some of you are not necesserly keen to know what is happening in the financial sector, but rather stay updated with the recent technology innovations. Therefore, on social bookmarking website you can go and search directly for the information based on your preferences and using the 'keywords' (say: iPhone 5s, Apple, smartphones).

2. I need to know about social bookmarking services (SBS) because...There are three main reasons, I wouldsay, depending on who you are. (This sounds like a very phylosophical matter - knowing who we are and what we want in this life;-).

As an Internet user in general, you would use SBS because it is an easy and fast way to search for the information, especially if you want to track everything that is online regarding a particular issue. This may be also useful for you professional and studying purposes when you are researching a topic.

The important thing to mention here is that SBS do not actually contain materials (news, resources) per se, but links to those materials, so it kind of looks as a library catalogue or a huge list of references.
So, if you are a student, you would need to know abour SBS to save some time finding sources for your essays and projects.

Finally, if you are PR-person, you should think of SBS as a great tool for driving traffic to your press- and publised campaign materials by tagging them with the relevant key words. For instance, if you are performing a new product launch campaign and have the press release about this e.g. new fabulous fishing kit by FishWithUs you can save the link to this press release on the SBS. Adding the keywords such as 'fishing', 'fishing kit', 'outdoor activities' etc. you will make users who search for this keywords see your press release! Is not it great? Especially, if you think of it from the SEO point of view.


3. I like the idea, tell me how to start! So if you are fancy trying to 'socially bookmark' something, just register with one of the SBS I provide below and see which one you like the most. Finally, I guess for the PR-people it might be a great idea to try using all of them at once (does help to generate traffic).

- Twitter (are you surprised?). By hashtagging people and stuff in general you also bookmark and sort the information, so for the PR - tweeting about your event or product is a great alternative (compliment) to the traditional press release.

- Chime.in

P.S. I know this is not a full list - just those I had in mind. If you know more SBS - let me know. :) Have a great night! I will see (em...talk/write to) you soon!

P.P.S I just realised, another way to use SBS is to promote your blog!! Or my blog :) Feel free to try tagging some of my posts, I will be very grateful :) By the way, many thanks to +Eduardo De Sales for always reading me and commenting on my posts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment